3.07.2010

ice skating....home?

My friend Kara's sister, Ida, lives in the Netherlands with her family. I was at Kara's blog today and dropped by her sister's new blog. Her husband recently wrote a post about ice skating home...Can you imagine? I wonder how often he does this? No wonder these people now how to win Olympic medals in this sport!

Click here to read the whole post!

"I said goodbye to my colleague around 3:10 PM and walked 3 minutes to the ice. There was a big sign saying “gevaarlijk ijs” which I ignored since the whole canal was filled with recent tracks. I put on my skates and set off over the canal through the beautiful Nieuwkoopse Plassen, an old peaty-swampy area now turned nature-water reserve. I followed the “canal-signs” to Nieuwkoop and crossed three lakes and more canals. There were all kinds of people on the ice, especially on the snow-swept trails. My route was mostly uncleared so the hard work kept me plenty warm (I must admit I like ‘work ice,’ as we call ice that is not mirror-smooth).

To get to the next polder, I had to scope out where to cross the road, put my skate-protectors on and cross over to a new canal. The water level in the canal had been lowered slightly, causing water on the ice near the edges, but it was plenty strong. I followed one existing track to the junction with another canal that took me straight through the middle of a wide open polder lined with 2 windmills. I only met one other person skating. I had to cross quite a few cattle bridges on the way and although there were several tracks under every bridge, I opted to walk around since there was quite a bit of brown water on the ice due to the lowered water levels. The bigger bridges under roads were quite doable and always fun: skate hard, duck down and make sure you don’t trip while you’re under it!"

He just goes on and on! Amazing....

1 comment:

Kara said...

He doesn't get to do this as often as he'd like! The paradox: The Dutch love skating, yet have a climate comparable to the Pacific Northwest. There are many years when the canals don't freeze at all, leading to many, many, many disappointed would-be skaters. When things do freeze, everybody's out on the ice. It's a party.