10.18.2009

frank lloyd wright house


Last weekend I woke up on Saturday and said, "Let's go to the Pope-Leighy House." It is a Frank Lloyd Wright house in Alexandria, Virginia. For years we have driven by the sign for the house. It was built in 1940 for the Pope family. Later on the Leighy's moved in. Our tour guide had the greatest name: H. Fairfield Butt. He was a kick. Really into the house.

The house does not have insulation. Wood on the outside, then plywood center, and the same wood on the inside. And it seems to have held up well. (Laura, I took a picture of the wall model just for you!)

The house has been moved twice! The first time to make way for a highway, the second time to deal with a poor foundation.

I know this is sacrilege, but I was not impressed with the layout of the house. At 1200 square feet I expected it to feel bigger. But it was cute.

Click here to see the other pictures I took, with Brent's iphone.
I forgot the camera!!!

1 comment:

Bungalow Builder said...

Your pictures are great! Our new house is 1220 sq ft. That's why I love Craftsman homes - they don't waste space with things like hallways! We use every square inch of space in our house, but feel like it's huge. :-)