8.05.2011

too many dinosaurs

This talk by Jack Horner has been stuck in my brain...I just found this idea so compelling: instead of lots of dinosaurs, there where many fewer and the paleontologists have been finding babies, juveniles, and adults and thinking they were different species, when really they weren't.

In high school I got to go to Egg Mountain in Montana as a Girl Scout and work on the dig there for two weeks. Jack Horner's son was there, John. He was HOT. And I remember finding a big bone and asking him what it was. He asked me. I asked back. He raised his voice. I raised mine. Finally he was shouting at me: WHAT IS THIS BONE? I finally guessed and said a femur? He said sure. I then realized he had no clue either.

Anyway, watch this video and ponder. Good times.

No comments: