2.25.2011

weekend away

The last month has been a roller coaster of emotions.

1. I am pregnant. The little monster has to eat all the time!
2. My dear father-in-law died unexpectedly.

Since all the drama, I have been instructed to "stop thinking" by Brent. Right. Ok.

My college girl friends spent the weekend with me out at our cabin, www.lostrivermodern.com. It was great to spend time with them. I needed a break. I slept all of Saturday and a lot of Sunday.

But what I could not understand was why they seem so opposed to the new health care law. I tried my best to persuade...but failed. But Brent and I discussed it at home and we both feel Obama failed to explain the new law to the American public. I still can't tell you exactly why I am for the law other than I felt a change, some change, ANY change was needed for the 40 million uninsured Americans out there. As a human being on this planet...a blessed human that is, it is my duty to help others.

It seemed that my girl friends objected to being forced to buy health insurance. Aren't we all already forced to do that? You have to have insurance. I tried to make the analogy with car insurance but that did not seem to work.

I am not really sure what to say. No one liked Social Security when it was passe either...

2 comments:

Erin said...

I keep waiting for this to come out: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20110208/us-health-care-comics-books/. Though it may not make any difference. It's hard to dissuade people once they've already made a decision to hate it,

Maureen said...

I think my issue is more about how we should be approaching health insurance in the first place. Yes, in theory you have to have health insurance. I certainly wouldn't want to be without it. We also have to have car insurance. But the way we spend on cars is different than the way people spend on health.

I know many people who race to the doctor every time they have a sniffle. That's silly.

With car insurance, you pay for all of the routine care yourself. I support that. I change the oil regularly and have the car inspected to ensure it's working right.

When major, unexpected things happen - accidents, etc. you use car insurance to pay for that.

Insurance should be the same way. Basic care is on you, like an oil change. Major care is what insurance is for.

My Little Sister doesn't have insurance. Her mother doesn't take care of her health at all. Her diabetes is out of control. I will give you $100 right now that this will be exactly the same story when the health care laws kick in. I guarantee it.

And PS I am already paying for her health care through my taxes.

I am a blessed resident of this country. I agree, we have to give back to those who are not as fortunate. I choose to do that by giving to organizations that I feel strongly about - JDRF, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Catholic Social Services. If I pay more taxes, I will not be giving to these organizations because I won't have the extra money to do so.