5.08.2010

of note: be in love with your life

We read part of Writing Down to the Bones in writing class this week. It is a very well known book about writing. Towards the end the author, Natalie Goldberg gives her favorite advice from Jack Kerouac. The last one kept me thinking all week:

Be in love with you life.

I have been in love with my life before; I know how that love feels. I am not in love with my life now. And of course we are working towards this goal, law school debt standing in the way primarily. But I really like the sentiment.

Later in the week around 2 am when I was finishing this new novel crying(!) I found another similar nugget:

"Go out there with your passion and your electric typewriter and work hard at...something. Change lives through art maybe. Cherish your friends, stay true to your principles, live passionately and fully and well. Experience new things. Love and be loved, if you ever get the chance."

I just loved One Day, by David Nicholls. It is due to be published June 15, 2010. (Katerina it is already out in London.)

The story follows a boy and a girl from the first day they meet forward. But only on one day a year: June 15th. We are left to piece together what happened in between the days.

This quote really sums up what I am trying to do in this life.

I have a very close friend who has mentioned before that being content with your life is something to aspire to. I appreciate her advice, but I do not believe it. I do not want to me content with an unfulfilled life. I want to live large, experience all life has to offer, and love well.

1 comment:

Katerina said...

I love that book tigress, 'Writing down the bones'. I was also thinking after reading your post that, to my astonishment, I could actually say that I am gradually falling in love with my life - not sure I had that before :) It's a feeling of deep gratitude more than anything else.