4.29.2009

ISO: Organization System for Ideas

A few years ago I came across (on 43folders, click here to see that website) the The Noguchi Filing System. I have been using it ever since. You put everything you need to a seperate file into its own large envelope. Then you mark on the outside the last time you accessed the envelope. When you access an envelope you put it at the front of the envelopes. Eventually, you archive the envelopes you never use, which end up at the back of the box. Fair enough; it works for me...for most things.

What I need is a better way to organize those little bits of paper, torn out magazine articles, the random detritus I collect. I keep design ideas and ideas for stories. I just don't know how to keep everything organized, so my desk looks like a huge mess.

Anyone have any ideas? I have tried notebooks, not big enough. I have tried piling, but the piles are about to all collapse. I have tried ignoring the problem, but alas, I must now do something.

I am thinking a nice looking box...but that might merely contain the problem, rather than organize the papers!

7 comments:

Erin said...

What do you do these little bits of paper?

harkinna said...

Well, I have some of them on a magnetic board behind my desk, so I can think about them...the rest are kind of jumbled everywhere...

Oh, what do I do with them? Use them for ideas...of stuff to do or try I guess.

Karen Davison said...

these little drawers are stackable and they're great for putting all those scraps in - i just have one drawer per category
http://www.quill.com/eldon-mini-drawers-tower/cbs/143839.html

Erin said...

What I want to know is really how you use them. Do you ever look through a whole pile? If so, how often? Do the ideas ever get out of date? How do you associate two or more ideas? When was the last time you used some of these "ideas?" What did you create?

harkinna said...

Ok...yes, the ideas get old...which I just noticed when I got out some of my important papers from high school! I stick by my two categories: story ideas for writing (for example a huge number of large ships go missing ever year, and now they know it is because of giant waves...) and decorating ideas.
Yes, I do go back through the things. I tried putting them in binders but that does work well for me...

Thanks for the tip Karen! I will look for those!

Bobby & Nicole said...

I'm going to go out on a limb here but if you really need a tiny scrap of paper to remind you of some great idea, maybe it isn't such a great idea? If it were really something you wanted to pursue, you would, without the need for a piece of paper to remind you. You probably store all of the great ideas in your head anyway, why waste the space and create anxiety by having them in duplicate on your desk, and on the floor, and everywhere?

SAHM said...

Do you own a scanner? Ever considered scanning them and saving electronically? I don't really know anything about this next link, but it looks like it could have possibilities if you wanted to go the electronic route.
http://www.pixily.com/