7.11.2007

Thoughts

“People pay for what they do, and still more for what they have allowed themselves to become. And they pay for it simply: by the lives they lead.”

I was walking home the other day trying desperately to find this quote. I had read it in “Before We Get Started” by Bret Lott the night before. He did not say it; it is a quote from James Baldwin. But this quote renewed my introspection and review of my current job. To sum things up: Not only do I not believe in the mission, I actually believe that the work we are doing might be harming the mission; I love my co-workers but hate the management; I feel under valued, under utilized, and under paid.

As a sage co-worker pointed out to me however, most people feel under paid and under appreciated their entire career. (Read: get over it.)

But after reading this quote, I realized that my working at my job meant that I was becoming toxic. And I was going to have to pay for this or get out.

As is often the case, just when I was at my wits end, I was offered another position. And while I am not as enamored with my new position as I would like to be, I know that my new job has something to teach me, the people are nice, and after 11 months of work I finally received a compliment on my work. What a little positive reinforcement will do to the ego.

If you are so inclined…please leave me a note about your thoughts on the quote.

No comments: