3.27.2010

blurb: Half Broke Horses



by Jeannette Walls

Your childhood was horrible: bad enough to warrant writing a best selling memoir that opens up with you seeing your homeless mother rummaging through the garbage from your car window. That book was The Glass Castle. But how do you follow up that book? What more is there? A lot it turns out in the case of Jeannette Walls. In her second book, Half Broke Horses, what she calls a “true life novel” Walls tells the story of her grandmother’s life, in Texas and Arizona, where living as an eccentric was as asset, rather than a liability. Walls lets you follow along in her grandmother’s life. Self reliance forms the basis of this woman’s life outlook, which stead her well as a child hanging on to a tree all night with her brother and sister after a flash flood and again after losing everything during the depression. You have to save yourself. Walls brings her grandmother’s essence to the page. Spend some time with this woman. You won’t regret it!

Nicole’s take away: I am hoping that my book blurbs will kind of tell the reader what I really think about the book. Anyway, I loved this book. It was just wonderful, and I was a skeptic when I picked it up. A “true life novel.” Please. No, it was neat’o. Oh and I loved the pictures of her family she put in the book. So fun.

No comments: