9.24.2009

fuel economy

What I like about driving is the puzzle of it all. How can I get from point A to point B the fastest? Now I have a new goal: How can I get from point A to point B while keeping my miles per gallon above 25?

So you buy a new car and the fuel economy is on the window. There used to be two numbers, city and highway driving average miles per gallon. Now there is a range on the window. A range? Really? I can get more miles per gallon somehow?

Yes, you can.

For the last week, I have been experimenting with this. I knew if the tires were properly inflated, you get better fuel economy and maybe some other things. I understand physics: the less drag on a car, the better the gas mileage. But this couple, the Taylor’s, have lots of tips for increasing your fuel economy. (Click here to read all 30 tips.)

Since hearing about these people I have been trying to follow the tips. The Nissan Altma averages, since I have been driving it, 24 mpg. The car display will show me a running mpg. Right now it is at 26.1 mgp after I have been conscientiously driving the speed limit, slowly accelerating and decelerating, and avoiding excess idling.

The weirdest part about going the speed limit and paying attention to my gas mileage is how un-stressful driving is. No need to change lanes, no place to go. No need to race to the stop light, my fuel economy is more important.

Check out their tips. Who knew for instance that you should drive downhill in gear? “Driving down hill in neutral (free wheeling) you will use some fuel. When you drive down hill in gear (the safest gear under the circumstances) in a modern day car you will use NO fuel whatsoever.”

No comments: