9.21.2009

book review: Put Your Life on a Diet: Lessons Learned from Living in 140 Square Feet


By this point I have realized that I get very excited about something, and then begin to obsess about it. One way to deal with my obsessions is to buy some book about said topic. Therefore we have books such as Yemen (home to Socotra) or Put Your Life on a Diet: Lessons Learned from Living in 140 Square Feet by Gregory Johnson. This little green book arrived a few days after I fell in love with the Tiny Tumbleweed homes. Mr. Johnson lived in one of these homes since 2001. It does not have a bathroom or much of a kitchen from his description.

The book, a quick read, walks the reader through the positives and negatives of small living and at the end of each chapter you have a few exercises to do which help you refine what you are seeking.

While I did not find the book super helpful, it was cute and informative. I would have liked to have read more about his day to day life living in the little house. What kind of funny things have happened over the years? I know from just wearing the funny shoes that people have no problem stopping you to ask you about strange things you have on your body, so I am sure if you house was on a trailer people would stop you all of the time. Who are these people he met throughout the years?

A few years ago I read 100 Ways to Simplify Your Life. Great book. The ideas in that book continue to inform my daily life. For example, on Sunday I went through the closet with the eye of Clinton and Stacy on What Not To Wear. If it was ugly, out. If I had never worn it, out. If it had any problem that I could not fix, out. I whittled down the closet quite a bit and feel great.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Between us, Montana and I call that the loop - the obsessing I mean. It's worst when I'm tired or stressed, particularly anxious about something, or unhappy about the path my life is taking.

It's disappointing that we're in opposite places. It makes me feel like there is no winning. But then, I guess I knew that about life. I've just decided not to even worry about it.