10.19.2009

more discussion of weight loss...

Remember I read that book by the woman who went to over-eaters anonymous? Then I looked up the diet...this is it, basically:

LOW-CARBOHYDRATE Sample Menu: (Suggested for losing weight)

BREAKFAST
1 Protein
1 Fruit
Coffee

LUNCH
1 Protein
1 Vegetable
Finger Salad
(no dressing)

DINNER
1 Protein
1 Vegetable
Salad

What do you notice? No carbohydrates or sugar right? Think Adkins Diet, or think Banting. Wait, who was Banting? Well given my recent question about how food becomes weight, I decided to jump back into Good Calories, Bad Calories. This is Gary Taubes’ book about weight loss.

He posits that obesity is not a behavioral problem, but is related to the types of food we are eating. Sugars and processed foods being the jumping off point. One of his favorite quotes: “To attribute obesity to ‘overeating’ is as meaningful as to account for alcoholism by ascribing it to ‘overdrinking.’” (Jean Mayer)

This makes so much sense to me. And because I believe in the European way of dealing with alcoholism, i.e. relearning how to drink responsibly, maybe I just need to relearn how to eat responsibly.

If you don’t have time to read the book, then watch the video (click here).


So back to the Banting diet; the first diet. Banting did the OA diet. He stopped eating sugars and carbohydrates and lost weight. He published a pamphlet about it, and well the first diet was born, in 1863.

What does this mean for me? I am not sure. I am still reading the book. More to come.

1 comment:

Bungalow Builder said...

Note: Vegetables and Salad ARE carbohydrates, but they also offer fiber, water = bulk, which makes you feel fuller, longer without more calories. What they offer more than sugar and starchy foods (like white bread, white rice, and white pasta) is low caloric density, with slower burning fuel. The result: you don't feel as hungry, while at the same time, creating the caloric deficit you need to lose weight.