8.31.2009

i scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream

My friend Krista, who has four kids, posted this recipe for ice cream the other day. Tonight we tried it!! So much fun. Tasted great.

Ingredients:
2 T sugar
1 cup half-and-half (we used whipping cream, I know...it was all we had on hand.)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
6 T rock salt
1 pint-size plastic zip lock bag
1 gallon-size plastic zip lock bag
(our zip lock broke so I would recommend double bagging)
crushed ice

What To Do:
Combine sugar, half-and-half, and vanilla in the small bag; seal the bag. Fill the large bag half full with ice and add the rock salt. Put the small bag inside the large bag and seal. Shake the bag for 5-7 minutes or until the ice cream hardens. Enjoy!

Note: You can add 2 T chocolate syrup to the small bag of ingredients before shaking to make chocolate ice cream. I am sure other flavors would work just fine too. You can, of course, add toppings at the end. I recommend rinsing off the outside of the small bag before you scoop/squish the ice cream into a bowl so you don't get the salt into your ice creams.

Serving size- two small portions, the perfect amount really.

1 comment:

SAHM said...

Glad you liked the ice cream. I think it is a fun one and doesn't take long or too much effort. The kids love shaking it around, so really no effort on my part! :) As far as the bag breaking . . . I think that must be total operator error (or strenghth!) because my kids have never had that problem.