4.07.2009

Brent's brother: Brandon

Brent's brother, Brandon, is an oncologist who is also a cancer survivor. (He HAD cancer in 1998.) His story was posted on Lance Armstrong's "Live Strong" blog yesterday...so I thought I would share some excerpts. To read the whole thing, click on this paragraph.

Awareness:
I did not know that cancer was and is the #1 natural cause of death among young adults, and I had not considered that we may face unique types of cancer with unique biology compared to other age groups.

Science:
Despite high rates of survival, I did not know that unlike younger and older groups, there has been no real change in the rate of survival since the 1970’s, and that childhood cancer survival rates passed those of young adults during that time. There has been a lack of research efforts aimed at explaining these survival gaps.

No comments: